Tuesday, January 31, 2006

 

Oscar 2006 round-up Pt. II

Paul Giamatti, along with George Clooney, Matt Dillon, William Hurt (!?!*WTF!) and Jake Gyllenhaal (yay!) are in the Best Supp. Actor category. (As I am writing this, I’m looking on MSNBC, CNN and even Yahoo and THEY HAVEN’T UPDATED with this yet, making my blog one of the very first on the ‘Net with this news and my opinion on it. A fact that I am astonished by over and over again.)

Judi Dench gets a nod for Best Actress, Mrs. Henderson Presents. I bet Harvey Weinstein knew this would happen when he backed the picture. The nod for Felicity Huffman (Best Actress, Transamerica) makes number two for The Weinstein Company, which is rapidly distinguishing itself from its competitors. Keira Knightly's Best Actress nod has shocked the morning anchors, for some reason. Didn’t shock me. The other two for this category are Charlize Theron for North Country (defying the odds once again, and this has hopefully her naysayers helping themselves to a second serving of humble pie) and Reese Witherspoon, rightfully, for Walk the Line.

Imdb still doesn’t have this. Okay, let me keep typing here. . .

Terrence Howard for Hustle & Flow deservingly gets a nod in the Best Actor category alongside Phillip Seymour Hoffman for Capote (quite predictably), Heath Ledger, Joaquin Phoenix, and David Strathairn for being Edward Murrow in Good Night, and Good Luck.

Best Director. Here we go. Bennett Miller (WTF!), Capote. Ang Lee, Broekback Mountain. Paul Haggis (Best Director? WTF!), Crash.
George Clooney for Good Night, and Good Luck. And Spielberg, Munich. To be honest, I thought (to my discredit) AMPAS was going to pass Spielberg over for this one. I really didn’t think he was going to get this nod. My bad. Anyone has some whipped cream to go with my humble pie?

Best Original Screenplay. Paul Haggis & Bobby Moresco get a nod for writing Crash; Clooney and Grant Heslov for Good Night & Good Luck; Woody Allen (predictably) gets one for Match Point; Noah Baumbach (HOLY WTF), The Squid and the Whale; Stephen Gaghan for Syriana. The indies are, at last, gaining recognition!

Best Adapted Screenplay. Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana for Brokeback Mountain; Dan Futterman, Capote; Jeffrey Caine, The Constant Gardener; Josh Olsen, A History of Violence; Pulitzer Prize winner Tony Kushner & Eric Roth, Munich.

Best Foreign Language Film. Italy, Don’t Tell. France, Joyeux Noel (Merry Christmas). South Africa, Tsotsi. Germany, Sophie Scholl: The Final Days. Palestine, Paradise Now. And I have seen none of these, but thanks to the small miracle that is DVD I will get to see at least 80% of the nominated films in this category.

Ah, Best Animated Film. My category. Howl’s Moving Castle. The Corpse Bride. Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. See earlier post for reaction.

Best Picture. Brokeback Mountain. Crash. Capote (long shot, heh). Munich. Good Night, & Good Luck. And look, none of you (that care, at least) should be surprised to see Brokeback Mountain win Best Picture.

Most of the major categories are here, but for purposes of time and other pressing obligations I must stop here—come back later, after (chances are) all of you have found out about the rest of the nominees. See ya.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?